8 months ago
[NJPW News] The full card for the upcoming DESTRUCTION 2012 on September 23 has been announced.
Among the already announced IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match between Tanahashi and Marufuji, it was also announced that Kota Ibushi will be defending the IWGP Jr. belt against Ryusuke Taguchi.
Over the weekend it was made apparent that the former champion Low Ki and Ryusuke Taguchi wanted a shot at the Jr. Heavy belt, but the executive committee decided to pull the trigger and give the next match to Taguchi. Taguchi thanked the committee for giving him the opportunity and he plans to bring the belt back home to New Japan. Taguchi’s last shot at the Jr. belt was just a mere 3 months ago, as the winner of the BOSJ 2012 faced off against the champion at the time Low Ki. He hopes to change the outcome that came from his match against Ki, but Ibushi has been on quite the run since returning in May in both his home promotion of DDT as well as NJPW.
Only two title matches were announced for the show, but 7 other matches will fill out the building feuds/storylines from this past weekend.
The main one being the out of nowhere appearance of KAIENTAI DOJO’s Kengo Mashimo as he has painted a huge target on Togi Makabe. For the last weekend of shows from (9/7-9/9) Mashimo appeared, joined Suzuki-gun, Delivered not one but two big brainbusters to Makabe, and that only seems like the beginning of this feud. Now one may wonder why Mashimo has pointed out Makabe as his target, but a good fact to know is that these two were both training partners in Puerto Rico in 2001. It has been 11 years since the two have even been in the ring together, but whatever may be the real case, Mashimo seems to have a bone to pick with Makabe, and it could become a battle to see for the fans.
One of the other developments over the weekend was Wataru Inoue calling out to face the invading team of Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata. Both Wrestlers turned MMA fighters have competed in NJPW before and are looking to make an apparent impact within the promotion. This may seem like an odd choice of a match for the Sakuraba & Shibata to come in at, but Wataru Inoue made his official debut as a pro wrestler against Shibata in October of 1999. Inoue’s partner though is the up and coming young lion Hiromu Takahashi, who seemed very stand-offish when Wataru made the announcement of the proposed tag match. That’s a pretty big match for the young talent to be in, but also one that could also boost his career if he can prove he can hold his own with the two fighters.
Below is the full card for the upcoming DESTRUCTION event.
NJPW “NJPW 40th Anniversary DESTRUCTION” 9/23/2012 [Sun] 16:00 @ Kobe World Memorial Hall in Hyogo
(1) Captain New Japan & Tama Tonga vs. Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii
(2) KUSHIDA, Alex Shelley & BUSHI vs. Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov & Gedo
(3) Low Ki vs. Daisuke Sasaki [DDT]
(4) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki [Pancrase MISSION], Lance Archer & Harry Smith
(5) Togi Makabe vs. Kengo Mashimo [K-DOJO]
(6) Wataru Inoue & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
(7) IWGP Junior Heavy Championship Match: [64th Champion] Kota Ibushi [DDT] vs. [Challenger] Ryusuke Taguchi
~ 2nd Defense.
(8) Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Yujiro Takahashi
(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [58th Champion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. [Challenger] Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH)
~ 1st Defense.