8 months ago
[Weekend Recap for September 18, 2012 Vol. 2] A quick look back of the bigger moments that went down among major promotions in Japan this last weekend from 9/14 to 9/17.
Normally I stop with the Sunday shows, but given Monday was a Holiday, in Japan, most of the shows carried over to take place then. Namely NOAH’s show on Monday, which will be the main focus of today’s rundown.
Pro Wrestling NOAH held the GREAT VOYAGE 2012 in OSAKA vol.2 this past Monday, 9/17, and with the show came a few newsworthy topics.
1. Of course the Jr. Tag League continues on with 2 teams already finished. All the points are leading into the key matches on the final day, which I will post those matches below the current standings.
Edwards & Fish [3 Wins = 6 Points]
Kotaro & Aoki [2 Wins, 1 Loss = 4 Points]
Ishimori & Kotoge [2 Wins, 1 Loss = 4 Points]
Asahi & Tonai [1 Win, 2 Losses = 2 Points]
Kaiser & Gaston Mateo [1 Win, 3 Losses = 2 Points] * DONE
Ricky Marvin & Super Crazy [2 Wins, 1 Draw = 5 Points]
Katsuhiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara [2 Wins, 1 Draw = 5 Point]
Hidaka & Hashimoto [2 Wins, 1 Loss = 4 Points]
Paul London & Zack Sabre Jr. [1 Win, 3 Losses = 2 Points] * DONE
Kanemaru & Hirayanagi [3 Losses = 0 Points]
Like I said with the posts heading out of this weekend that only leaves us with 1 more show coming up for next weekend on 9/22.
Pro Wrestling NOAH “6th Annual NTV G+ Cup Contention Junior Heavy Tag League”, 9/22/2012 [Sun] 12:00 @ Korakun Hall in Tokyo
(1) Naomichi Marufuji & Mohammed Yone vs. Ross Von Erich & Marshall Von Erich
(2) Tag Match: Paul London & Zack Sabre, Jr. vs. Kaiser & Gaston Mateo
(3) B BLOCK Match: Yoshinobu Kanemaru & Genba Hirayanagi vs. Katsushiko Nakajima & Satoshi Kajiwara
(4) A BLOCK Match: Shiori Asahi & Hiro Tonai vs. Eddie Edwards & Bobby Fish
(5) A BLOCK Match: Kotaro Suzuki & Atsushi Aoki vs. Taiji Ishimori & Atsushi Kotoge
(6) B BLOCK Match: Super Crazy & Ricky Marvin vs. Ikuto Hidaka & Daichi Hashimoto
(7) NO MERCY vs. DIAMOND RING Tag Match: KENTA & Maybach Taniguchi vs. Kensuke Sasaki & Kento Miyahara
(8) BRAVE vs. SAT GHC Heavyweight Championship Prelude Tag Match: Takeshi Morishima & Takashi Sugiura vs. Jun Akiyama & Go Shiozaki
(9) NTV G+ Cup Contention Junior Heavy Tag League Final Match: A BLOCK #1 vs. B BLOCK #1
~ It is going to come down to the wire among the teams specifically the match involving the Jr. Tag Champions facing Hidaka & Daichi, then Kanemaru/Genba vs. Nakajima/Kajiwara. With a draw between the 2 leading teams in the B Block, a win or a loss will decide which team moves on to the finals.
Edwards/Fish maintain a position in the tag league. Edwards/Fish hold a win over Kotaro/Aoki, but a loss to Ishimori/Kotoge, so you can see a bit of chance that is still there if they do win their last match.
Clearly though the more high profile of the matches will fall on Kotaro/Aoki vs. Ishimori/Kotoge. With both teams sitting at 4 points and facing one another that usually tends to point towards one of the teams that are sure to move on. Kotaro/Aoki are the former jr. tag champions that are looking to win the belts back, with Ishimori/Kotoge being a pair that seems to be very hungry to do more within the promotion.
2. Takeshi Morishima walked out of the Great Voyage event with a successful 4th defense over, the early favorite going in, KENTA.
A lot of fans seemed it to be KENTA’s time to finally lay claim to the belt, but much like his last GHC Heavy title shot late last year he was unable to get the win. KENTA has another title match coming up on October 8th as he and fellow NO MERCY teammate Maybach Taniguchi go up against Samoa Joe & Brutus Magnus for the GHC Heavyweight Tag Belts.
Morishima also already has his next defense set as well, as he will be facing Jun Akiyama on October 8. Below is the card, which just consist of the two title matches mentioned in this right up.
Pro Wrestling NOAH “GREAT VOYAGE 2012 in YOKOHAMA vol.2”, 10/8/2012 [Mon] 14:00 @ Yokohama Cultural Gymnasium in Kanagawa Pref.
(-) GHC Heavy Tag Championship Match: [24th Champions] Samoa Joe & Brutus Magnus [TNA] vs. [Challengers] KENTA & Maybach Taniguchi
~ 1st Defense.
(-) GHC Heavyweight Championship Match: [Champion] Takeshi Morishima vs. [Challenger] Jun Akiyama
~ 5th Defense
3. Speaking of Jun Akiyama, he just celebrated his 20th Anniversary as a pro wrestler, and will be carrying over his celebration into the title match. As many of you might know, Akiyama just recently came off of his first ever Triple Crown title reign in All Japan, and is aiming to not let that stop him from trying to prove that he is still one of the best. Morishima will be carrying a lot of momentum after his win over KENTA, but Akiyama may prove to be his toughest challenge yet.
New Japan Pro Wrestling had pretty straight forward shows this weekend with the build towards DESTRUCTION on September 23, as Hiroshi Tanahashi is set to defend his IWGP Heavy belt against NOAH’s Naomichi Marufuji.
Monday’s show though saw a huge stumble for Tanahashi and a big moment for Yujiro Takahashi, as Yujiro defeated the champion in a tag. Any time the champions take a lose a big thing and this is definitely no exception.
Yujiro has been building himself up as a more solid singles competitor since the G1 Climax in August, and has been aiming to prove that he deserves a title shot just like any other. With this win he has aligned himself into the IWGP Heavy title picture.
Though will he get a title shot given that Marufuji could be a threat to Tanahashi’s reign? That we will see after DESTRUCTION concludes.
NJPW “NJPW 40th Anniversary DESTRUCTION” 9/23/2012 [Sun] 16:00 @ Kobe World Memorial Hall in Hyogo
(1) Captain New Japan & Tama Tonga vs. Takashi Iizuka & Tomohiro Ishii
(2) KUSHIDA, Alex Shelley & BUSHI vs. Rocky Romero, Alex Koslov & Gedo
(3) Low Ki vs. Daisuke Sasaki [DDT]
(4) Hiroyoshi Tenzan, Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata vs. Minoru Suzuki [Pancrase MISSION], Lance Archer & Harry Smith
(5) Togi Makabe vs. Kengo Mashimo [K-DOJO]
(6) Wataru Inoue & Hiromu Takahashi vs. Kazushi Sakuraba & Katsuyori Shibata
(7) IWGP Junior Heavy Championship Match: [64th Champion] Kota Ibushi [DDT] vs. [Challenger] Ryusuke Taguchi
~ 2nd Defense.
(8) Hirooki Goto, Tetsuya Naito & “The Machine Gun” Karl Anderson vs. Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazuchika Okada & Yujiro Takahashi
(9) IWGP Heavyweight Championship Match: [58th Champion] Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. [Challenger] Naomichi Marufuji (NOAH)
~ 3rd Defense.
Pro Wrestling ZERO1 concluded the 2012 Tenakichi tournament on Monday as Jonathan Gresham walked out the victor, not only the first foreigner to win the tournament, but also the youngest at 24 years old. Gresham beat both Tatsuhito Takaiwa and his mentor Ikuto Hidaka, in the final match, to win the tournament. A huge feat for just about anyone, and Gresham acknowledge that. So much so that he even said that he had “no wish” to make. He achieved a lot in his career, especially in this tournament, and it is looking forward to the future.
In an interview following the tournament, Gresham stated that he would wish to hold the tag belts with his mentor Ikuto Hidaka. Gresham also stated that he wishes to represent ZERO1 as he competes elsewhere, with New Japan’s BEST OF THE SUPER Jr’s being a prime example. Gresham seems to have a strong future in ZERO1 and it will be interesting to see if the “great dragon” will grant either of his dreams.
I believe that to be all the biggest newsworthy happenings of this past weekend, I know not much (relatively light weekend), but if you guys want me to continue posting something like this feel free to like this post on the facebook page, leave me a comment, or give me a retweet on twitter.
I am still looking for critique’s and always open to thoughts.